Monday, June 25, 2007

Career aspirations ...?

I remember writing a journal entry in my creative writing class my senior year of highschool of all the things I wanted to "be" when I grew up. Short of astronaut, everything's there -- I dug up the old journal entry (after looking through a dozen of my old, dusty journals).

*Scientist (I don't speficy which science)
*Anthropologist ("So I can travel to distant countries and live in primative cultures." -- I cringed as I typed that)
*Sociologist ("So I can evaluate social groups and write a book about it." -- this one is the most probable, I think)
*Psychologist (following in my dad's footsteps, perhaps?)
*Highschool English teacher
*Highschool theatre teacher ("So I can be the next Mr Hulan.")
*Linguist ("So I can travel to archeological digs and translate old, archaic texts." -- There was a while there when I was totally convinced I was going to study linguistics in college.)
*Wycliffe Bible Translator ("So I can travel to South America and live with native tribes..." -- I remember this faze well.)
*Priest (something about wanting to "defy social standards while serving God" -- not exactly the best motivation to go into the ministry.)
*Sociology professor (bizarre....because this has been a real, recent thought.)
*Photographer ("So I can take pictures of children around the world.")
*Radio DJ (This explanation is priceless -- "So I can have a nation-wide Christian rock station.")
*Stage director (something about "creating a play.")
*Actress ("So I can perform on Broadway.)
*Singer/songwriter (goes without saying, I guess).
*Senator (another priceless gem from my heavy-duty Evangelical days -- "So I can make Godly legislation.")

It's a bit more understandable why my mother is worried about me and the direction my life will take. I have a lot of lofty ambitions, but these rarely take shape. Grant it, I was 18 when I wrote that entry, and my head is somewhat out of the clouds now, but I still have lofty ideas. I've thought more seriously about becoming a professor, becoming ordained, working in some capacity with the Church, becoming a therapist/psychologist, doing aids work/community development overseas, writing and teaching, doing research, mentoring and counseling. I guess that means I can cross off actress and singer/songwriter. And radio DJ. But what can I add on? Could I really be a professor or a writer? I don't have the attention span for that (then again, my favorite professor has the attention span of a gnat and he does alright). Could I really be a therapist, when I'm already prone to taking on the burdens of the world? Could I deal with the hardships of development work in post-communist Eastern Europe, in resource-scarce East Africa? Could I stand in front of a congregation and break the bread when I know my heart is black as soot?

No comments: