Wednesday, January 17, 2007

a wedding.

Melissa and Jacob are married. I am an official sister-in-law. They're wedding was beautiful, as far as I know. It's hard to have an objective perspective (an oxymoron) when standing next to the bride and groom. I was, perhaps, a bit obsequious...fawning over Melissa's train like a lackey. It was a delightful experience to be in a wedding, to witness the union of two people you love - one whom you've known your entire life and another whom you've grown to love in a short time.

The homily, given by one Dr Ellen Davis of Duke's Divinity School, encouraged Jacob and Melissa to "preach a sermon" with their marriage. And what would that sermon be? What would they preach to the world through the example of their marriage? Peace-making, care for the earth, respect for life, love for children, delight in simple things. I really do think marriage is meant to benefit the world. I think I read a Sojourners article on that once. Marriage for the common good. Strange way of saying it, but I do agree with the premise.

Will and I talked a bit in the car on the way over to the rehearsal dinner about the great risk that is taken when entering into a marriage covenant with someone. We are all going to pass away. We all must say goodbye someday. When we enter into a union with someone, we are bearing their humanity, their mortality, along with ours. "Sickness or in health. Until death do us part." Damn...if people really listened to the vows they made, really thought of their weight, their intensity, the divorce rate would be much lower in the United States. And the marriage rate would be lower, too, when you think about it. Marriage is no joke. It involves the most joyous aspects of life, and the deepest sorrow. And, as spouses and friends and family members, we must endure all of it together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally hear you on the marriage being a risk thing - maybe more the longer I'm married. (Oh yes - I'm such an old married woman.) But the more months that pass the more delightful I find marriage to be and the therefore the more risky.

About the wedding itself - I loved it!
Favorite thing: when you walked up the aisle and one of your L'Arche ladies teared up, half clapped, and couldn't take her eyes off you, even as everyone else turned to look at the bride. It almost made me cry. And I'm not one to cry at weddings.
Not favorite thing: when Marshall forgot to prompt Jacob to say "for better or for worse" so he has technically not vowed to be married for better or worse, although he's still married for richer or poorer and in sickness and in health, so that's something. (I'm being silly...I know that even though it wasn't said, he's still committed in all circumstances - including better and worse.)