Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The great divorce...

And so, it is finished. The Episcopal Church is broken in two. Martyn Minns was on the cover of the Washington Post yesterday, embracing a vestry member as the vote tally was read. I may feel theologically and politically alienated at Truro, but I was raised in that church, baptized and confirmed in that church. It is truly my home church, and no matter how different my understanding of the world and my faith, it will never cease to be my home church. Therefore, because I disagree with their dissenting and their theo-political understanding of the Gospel, do I leave? They have left the ECUSA, of course, so does that give me liberty to leave them? Once again, I feel spiritually homeless. I love the Episcopal Church, even with all its disfunctionalities, and I am intimately connected to Truro Church, one of the main leaders in the "fight to break away." This almost feels like being the child of divorced parents. You must pick a side! You must choose who you want to live with! Who will be your guardian now? This a hard place to be, especially when both "parents" are berating the other, equally as militant and self-righteous. It's enough to make me want to find a new family altogether.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say kudos for always keepin' it real. Even if reality is way more harsh than we'd like sometimes. I heard a quote once that "The biggest enemy of the church is The Church". I'm not sure i always have agreed with that statement but there are times when I see its point. Keep praying! I'll continue to pray for you as you figure out what to do and I'll certainly keep the whole Episcopal Church in prayer as well.

Stay you!
Love-Your cuz
P.S. If you're serious about that last statement, us Evang. Baptists are always looking to "adopt" ;-)