Wednesday, August 30, 2006

l'Arche Northern Virginia!

Interesting how life works, how God works. Just a few weeks I felt up a creek, not sure of what to do next or which direction to take. I was in the process of applying to l'Arche Tahoma Hope in Tacoma, WA, and the idea of having to drive all the way back across country was a little unsettling, mainly because I would probably have done it by myself. My original plan to go to DC l'Arche just felt...right. I could be close to home and see my parents on my days away. I could interview at schools where I'm hoping to attend next year (all of which are on the East Coast). I could help my mom with planning for my sister's wedding. I could fly up to Boston to see some friends (which is a short jaunt compared to the tortuous flight across country). All those things made me feel especially bummed when l'Arche DC informed me that they had already filled their late August position.

Then...just a few days ago, as I was filling out my application to l'Arche Tahoma, I get an email from l'Arche DC, saying they have an unexpected opening in late September and they want to start the interview process right away! I have so far done two phone interviews which have both gone well. It really helps that I've been living in a l'Arche community for the past 3 months. I'm sold on the philosophy and have had the practical experience. Turns out, they are opening a new house in Arlington, Virginia, and I would be living there instead of one of the DC l'Arche houses. This had me slightly bummed (I was so looking forward to living in the city!) but Arlington is so close and a very cool town. I am happy!

Again, I say, interesting how God works. So, come September 6th to July of 2007, looks like I'll be living in Virginia! As one can imagine, my parents are ecstatic. My mom has been doing celebratory dances for about a week. Arlington is just across the river from DC which will make going into the city an easy thing. This is a little snippet I got from the DC l'Arche website: "To double the size of the L’Arche community, L’Arche is expanding into Northern Virginia where we will welcome eight additional people with developmental disabilities. L’Arche purchased two homes in Arlington Virginia in June 2004 and plans to open the first new home this summer when renovations are complete."

At this point, I am trying to transition out of my time here at l'Arche Nehalem with grace. I was reflecting back on when I first came, how new and overwhelming everything felt. Now, there hardly seems a time when I wasn't living here and living the l'Arche life. I take off in about a week, on September 6th. Portland has been such an interesting place to live, and I am really glad I was able to spend a lot of time with Melissa and Jacob while I was here. I could see myself coming back to the Northwest sometime in the near future. It's a beautiful part of the country, for sure. Funny that I will be going from one of the hippiest, crunchy, enviro-local friendly, peacenik towns in the country to Arlington, VA, home of a dozen war memorials and Army/Navy sites. Sigh. It will have a different feel, for sure.

OK....I am on today at 12 which means time to go to the Bipartisan for some coffee. A morning ritual.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's kind of sad that you are only getting back on the 6th, it'd be nice to go out for a drink.

James

Rachel said...

thats awesome heath! im so glad that opened up! I'm toying with the idea of going to Gordo for homecoming... thoughts?