Wednesday, July 19, 2006

mornings = blar

No matter how early I go to bed each night, waking up at the crack of dawn is never pleasant. I am a night owl...I think better at night, I often experience "second winds" around 10pm, sometimes even "third winds" if I am around other folks (which energizes me). Two days ago I got up at 6 to do the morning routine. This consists of getting everyone out of bed, brushing teeth, applying deodorant, dressing, brushing hair, fixing breakfast, dealing out morning medications, and getting them each on their bus when it arrives (between 7 and 8). It's a crazy morning...lots of energy and activity. I'm more used to a leisurely paced morning, waking around 9, drinking a cup of coffee and reading the morning paper, perhaps trying the crossword, eating a bowl of granola. I guess that means I need to find a job that starts late. Fortunately enough for me, I have found this job. Most of the time, my schedule doesn't require me to be on until 12:15, giving me all morning to mess around. I rarely have to do morning routines.
On my off hours, I've taken to walking up Mt Tabor which is down the road 10 or so blocks. All together, it's about a 3 mile walk, and there must be about 100 or so steps to get to the top of the mountain itself. Mt Tabor is not your "typical" mountain, one that you would picture when I say the word. It's nestled amongst developments, which makes it seem more of a hill than anything. But the upward slope itself remains untouched by developers. The Western side is covered in bike and hiking paths, and there is a paved road that curves all the way up to the top, which circles around and then leads you back down. It's a flat-topped mountain (a once-volcano) that is perfect for frisbee or a picnic, as there are plenty of benches. There's a wonderful view of Hawthorne St and downtown Portland and people gather at that point each night to watch the sunset. I've been up there almost every day for the past week. On Saturday, I went up twice. I really enjoy these walks...I usually bring a book or my journal, finding a nice warm spot in the sun, and laze away my day. I'm rarely alone -- bikers, runners, people walking their dogs, shmoozing couples -- but it would be nice to be there with a friend. Melissa sometimes walks with me, which is nice. But, most of the time, I'm by myself...this can be very draining for an extrovert.
I'm in the process of figuring out my future. Amy offered me a full time position here at l'Arche Portland, but I would have to commit a year and I'm not willing to do this. They will be short handed come September, so I may stay on a bit longer to do respite work. But, at this point, it doesn't look like I'll be staying on much longer, unless, of course, I find another job out here. Melissa keeps talking about renting a two-room house/apartment for her, Jacob, and I to live in. Imagine living as a single person with a newly-married couple. That could be a tv show.
The other option I've explored is living and working in l'Arche DC. On my off days, I could go home and visit my 'rents, which they would love. And, the DC community is located in Adams Morgan, a very interesting part of the city. Plus, l'Arche DC can afford to pay their assistants more -- not bad at all. I've emailed them my interest and I am hoping to hear back from them about what job opportunities are available between Sept and Jan, or Sept and the Spring.
Melissa and I are going to try to work on her and J's save-the-dates today which will involve much cutting and pasting, I do believe. I was off yesterday and spent a good chunk of time downtown by myself, reading in a park, browsing in Powell's books (the largest bookstore in the world!), hitting up Whole Foods. But, after so much time with myself, I look forward to being with other people.

1 comment: